About The Midwest Beatbox Battle
The 2017 Midwest Beatbox Battle will be held October 6th, 7th & 8th in Columbus, Ohio. Venues, event locations, hotel information etc., will be available soon! Be sure to follow the Facebook group page here for updates & more info.
The Midwest Beatbox Battle is an international beatbox competition, originated and organized by Shut Your Mouth & Beatbox (SYMAB) in 2012. SYMAB is a group of beatboxers dedicated to the art & uprising of American Human Beatboxing.
The Midwest Beatbox Battle originated in Youngstown, Ohio, but has been held in the state's capitol, Columbus, the past five years. Each event features an open elimination round, in which any international beatboxer can compete for a Top 16 placing in The Midwest Beatbox Battle. The Top 16 beatboxers will be battling face-to-face on stage for a grand prize package & 1st place title of The 2016 Midwest Beatbox Battle.
This 3-day competition will be an all ages & international open elimination. Each competitor will be given up to 2 minutes to showcase their beatbox skills to a panel of professional judges. The Top 16 competitors will advance to a bracket & battle it out face to face until one winner is chosen.
SOLO BATTLE JUDGES
Mark Martin (Brooklyn, NY)
2016 American Beatbox Champion
Tony C (Columbus, OH)
Shut Your Mouth & Beatbox Co-Founder
Villain (Pittsburgh, PA)
2x Midwest Beatbox Champion
LOOP BATTLE JUDGES
JFlo (Long Island, NY)
2011 American Beatbox Champion
Kaila Mullady (Brooklyn, NY)
World Beatbox Champion
Yuri Lane (Chicago, IL)
RULES (SOLO BATTLES)
Open Elimination rounds will be 2 minutes each.
Judges will score contestants according to certain criteria.
* There will be 5 different categories of criteria.
* Each category can be scored 1-10 (Highest score is 50.)
The 16 highest ranked contestants will advance to the battles.
BATTLE STRUCTURE / FORMAT
The Top 16 contestants will battle according to rank / score.
One contestant will be allowed to choose the coin flip. The contestant who wins the initial coin flip will be allowed to choose who goes first.
Top 16, Quarter and Semi-Finals will be 1:30 (one minute; thirty seconds) rounds.
Finals will be 2:00 (two minute) rounds.
* ABAB Format; Meaning Beatboxer A goes first for 1:30, then Beatboxer B goes second for 1:30, then Beatboxer A goes again for 1:30, with one last reply from Beatboxer B for 1:30.
Judges are allowed 3 overtime rounds, which can be used at any time during any battle, but must be agreed amongst the majority of judges.
* During overtime rounds, Beatboxer B will go first for :30 seconds, then one final response from Beatboxer A for :30 seconds.
The contestant who receives the most votes from the judges panel will move on to the next battle round.
* Judges will be given voting cards to make their decisions, which will be held up after each battle.
** If at least 2 of the 3 judges call a tie, overtime will be given.
** If 2 judges vote for Beatboxer A and the 3rd judge votes a tie, Beatboxer A will be decided as the winner.
** If 1 judge votes for Beatboxer A and another judge votes for Beatboxer B, but the 3rd judge votes a tie, an overtime round will be given.
Only ONE (1) Microphone will be used for the battles. (Aside from MC/host)
* Once this level has been adjusted and agreed upon by the judges and contestants, it MUST remain the same throughout the night.
* After Beatboxer A has reached his time limit, the microphone should be passed immediately to Beatboxer B with little to no lapse in time.
One person will be the dedicated time-keeper for the night, responsible for keeping time during battles (2:00, 1:30, :30, etc.) and a 5 second warning or countdown using hand signals (5, 4, 3, 2, 1, TIME!)
* After the time is up, the microphone will be passed to the next beatboxer or back to the Emcee (MC) at the end of battle.
Winners from Open Elimination (Top 16) will be announced the day after Open Elimination rounds, prior to the battles.
Judges will use cue cards to determine the winner after each battle.
* Cards will be RED or BLUE to select a winner and YELLOW for a tie.
Judges should only give critique to the FINAL 2 competitors. (During Finals)
LOOPSTATION RULES (COMING SOON...)
Submit your 2-3 minute loopstation video today!
DATE & TIME
Friday, October 6th
Saturday, October 7th
Sunday, October 8th
VENUE & ADDRESS
Wild Goose Creative
2491 Summit St, Columbus, OH 43202
2507 Summit St, Columbus, OH 43202
Bossy Grrl's Pinup Joint
2598 N High St, Columbus, OH 43202